|100th Infantry Battalion|
On May 26, 1942, General George C. Marshall issued orders establishing the Hawaiian Provisional Battalion. On June 5th, the Hawaiian Provisional Battalion (consisting of 1,300 men and 29 officers) under the command of Lt. Col. Farrant Turner sailed for the mainland and training. On June 12th, the 100th Infantry Battalion was activated and assigned to the Second Army at Camp McCoy in Wisconsin.
The men of the 100th completed their basic training from June to December 1942 with superior ratings in the field and on the drill grounds. In addition, the 100th Battalion earned five Soldier's Medals for "heroism while not in combat" for saving the lives of several local residents who nearly drowned in a frozen lake.
In February 1943, the 100th Battalion was transferred from Camp McCoy to Camp Shelby, Mississippi for advanced-unit training. They were now attached to the 69th Division, where the men of the 100th earned top scores. Because of their excellent training record and a steady stream of petitions and interventions by prominent Americans, both civilian and military, the War Department was forced to re-open military service to Americans of Japanese ancestry.